There have been numerous books and brochures written about Portarlington, and most of them mention the fishing and the farming in the area. Some of these publications are held at Deakin University library or in the State Library of Victoria while others are no longer in print.
The Australian Handbook, written in 1871 has little information, while the 1882 edition states:" There are two hotels-The Family and the Bayview...the population numbers 300, but in the summer many persons from Geelong and Melbourne reside here. New public baths have been erected increasing the attraction to Portarlington."
The 1888 edition mentions "a public library has been erected, and also a Forrester's and Temperance Hall. The population numbers 700 and in the district over 1000; it being an excellent seaside watering hole.
While these 2 buildings are no longer standing you can still seas the last remaining poles at low tide. The beautiful building that was once the library has been replaced by a building that is now home to the senior citizens.
Colin Thiele, 1978. Beautifully illustrated by Robert Ingpen
The author describes the way of life of Lincoln's place. Some of the story s told through the memories of Mrs. Lincoln who was still active around the farm in the 1970s. Other parts of the story come to life through the old buildings, the old tools and vehicles once in everyday use. The building (ruin) still stands with the best views of Port Phillip Bay.
Ian Wynd. This is very interesting book printed about the Bellarine Peninsula. It contains an excellent chapter on Portarlington. It also contains a comprehensive bibliography which provides the reader who is interested in research further study. Available from the Bellarine Historical Society.
Accessible information about Portarlington's history being limited, the author captures details and anecdotes from local people and from tucked away sources. This book a driving trail encapsulates the heritage of Portarlington.
A delightful read that contains interviews with some of the locals. Each chapter discusses different elements of the Bellarine Peninsula. Cost $35 and is still in print.
1976 First published 1962,Geelong Vic: This mall publication provides a detailed picture of the earlier years of not only Portarlington but also St Leonards and Indented Head.
prepared by the Geelong Regional Commission in consultation with Bellarine Rural City Council 1991
Geelong Regional Commission, Deakin University Library
Deakin University Library
Summary "An advanced conservation project for unit ARC562 design thesis."
Notes Prepared by Tim Angus, Brian Beason, David Fletcher, Peter Woolard
Bibliography Bibliography: leaves 113-114
Location Deakin University Library Special Collection
Description  p. : ill., ports. ; 21 cm
There are snippets from "The Advocate" from 1878, 1890, 1892, 1911, and extracts from the files of the Lands Department 1854 and 1855. The history of individuals connected with the church, the fire of 1926, which destroyed the hall.
Published by the Shire of Bellarine. This book provides an insight into the lives of Miss Anne Drysdale and Miss Elizabeth Newcomb, two female pioneers who farmed land on the Bellarine Peninsula. The homestead, Coriyule built 1849 overlooking Corio Bay still stands today and remains a private property. Ownership and transfers of land, crops, and animal selection are also discussed in the book. However it is the determination and strength of the two women as well as the kindness of Caroline's husband that really intrigues the reader.